Super FAQs

Here are some frequently asked questions that may help you find your lost super.

To access your super or to find your lost super, you will need to provide your ID. 

This can generally be done with your tax file number (TFN), birth certificate and driver’s licence. 

Your tax file number will be the most effective for tracking your super. This is something that the ATO will give you. 

It’s something that all your employers will ask for. If you have forgotten what your TFN is, you can get in touch with the ATO’s Indigenous helpline on 13 10 30.

Sometimes you may not have the ID that the super fund wants, or your name is different to what they have. 

In some cases, because of Sorry Business, your name may change and not be the same as what they have.

A government agency like AUSTRAC has created some guidelines to help out with this. 

Some different types of ID may include:

• Indigenous community ID card.

• Reference from an elder.

• Reference from the lands council or local Aboriginal organisation.

Click here to learn more about different types of ID 

There are a few ways that you can access your super early, but there are really strict rules to follow.

Compassionate grounds: You may be able to access some of your super if it’s for certain medical treatments, or expenses associated with a funeral of a dependent.

Financial hardship: If you have been on Centrelink payments for 26 weeks and you are not able to meet living expenses. You can access between $1,000 and $10,000.

Terminal medical condition: You will have to provide medical evidence to get access.

For more info on early access to super click here for the ATO site or contact your super fund.

The fund will pay your super balance plus any insurance to your partner, children and other people that may rely on you for financial support. It may be one or all of these people.

It’s better to contact your super fund and tell them who you want the money to go to. This is called a binding death nomination, and will generally make things easier for your family and dependants if they must work through the distribution of your super.

If you think that you can claim some insurance money through super, you will need to contact your super fund. 

They will explain the process, as well as the information that you will need to provide to access the money. 

Have a look around the house for any paperwork that they may have from the super fund, or a payslip from work. 

You can also call the ATO Indigenous Help Line on 13 10 30 to talk about super for a deceased family member. 

Scroll to Top